My passion with Korean started with the Korean movies. For several years I watched unbreakably almost all Korean series and Korean channels from cable tv. Then, I commenced to try some Korean food, and have found several Korean restaurants in Jakarta that became my family's favorite to dine for the weekend. Later on, I have tried Korean's dishes at home, and believe it or not, my family and I love it so much.
Google

Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Summer - GREEN HARD PERSIMMON KIMCHEE - P'UT KAM KIMCHI






This is a traditional Korean pickle that is made in the summer, and serve as a fruit snack during the cold winter months (after a period of 3-4 months of fermentation). Use small ( 5-7.5cm diameter), hard, green persimmons, and keep the sepals on. The cinnamon adds a distintive flavor. The alum is added to prevent discoloring, not flavor.



INGREDIENTS:
3 kg fresh green hard persimmons
85g salt
3 cups boiling water
60 g cinnamon stick (optional)
½ tsp alum

HOW TO MAKE:
1. Select unblemished fruit. Wipe with a dry towel – do not rinse. Put the fruit gently into a container (traditionally an earthenware jar is used) and weight down with a plate or stone.
2. Prepare a brine with the salt and the alum.
3. Ferment for 3-4 months to reduce the tannin in the fruit. The persimmon sweeten during the fermentation; the result is a delicious snack.

2 comments:

Judith said...

I tried this this year, but the results were disappointing. All I got were hard, salty green things. There was really no flavor. What went wrong?

Harris Clerk said...

Thank you very much for the contribution. I liked the test and the site very much.